TRANSFORMATION CITY »
Showcasing a 'New America'
The Pittsburgh region has survived wrenching economic change and emerged with a balanced, innovation-driven economy renowned for health care and life sciences, technology and robotics, higher education and research, financial services, advanced manufacturing and renewable energy.
A City Full of Diversity
As a city full of diversity, you will love exploring the culture, food, and atmosphere of Pittsburgh’s 89 unique and ethnically distinctive neighborhoods. Pittsburgh’s downtown is full of the city hustle and bustle, and Squirrel Hill has the quaint charm of a main street-like community. Meanwhile, Oakland, with its many universities, supplies a uniquely intellectual atmosphere. Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods and the unique people in them are just waiting for you to come and visit!.
Contact: Petra Mitchell, President, +1 412.918.4265, email@example.com
Catalyst Connection: Manufacturing Is Still the Lifeblood of Pittsburgh
Catalyst Connection is a private nonprofit corporation dedicated to helping small and mid-size manufacturers in southwestern Pennsylvania improve their competitive performance.
The organization is one of seven industrial resource centers located across Pennsylvania, working in partnership with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Manufacturing Extension Partnership, which allows Catalyst Connection (www.catalystconnection.org) to draw on a national network for advanced manufacturing expertise. We work to make manufacturers more competitive by improving processes from the boardroom to the factory floor.
Catalyst Connection's advisors, consultants, and instructors are experts with an average of 15 years of manufacturing experience. In addition to training and consulting, we administer financial programs which can provide funding for equipment and machinery and guide manufacturing companies to other loans and grants intended to fund capital improvements.
Examples of industrial manufacturing companies that Catalyst Connection is helping retool and succeed in the 21st century include:
- Crucible Materials Corporation - Manufacturer of specialty steels, alloys, and powders for such markets as automotive, aircraft, tools, and other end-user applications.
- Scott Metals, Inc. - Producer of close tolerance fabrication, mill spec welding, precision machining, laser cutting and other steel processing services.
- Clark Metal Products Company - Specializes in advanced manufacturing for metal fabrication of a wide variety of products in the electronics, defense, medical equipment, testing and instrumentation, and transportation industries.
- Jeannette Specialty Glass - Manufacturer of high-grade commercial and industrial glass products, and specializing in highly durable borosilicate glass.
- Hundreds of other manufacturing companies are available upon request.
Additionally, dozens of products - from household items to industrial components and equipment - are manufactured right here in the Pittsburgh area and exported to every G20 country around the world.